upper left hand side H u m a n i t i e s
Use Census data to analyze your neighborhood. You will need to access this site: https:// class=”screenreader-only”> (Links to an external site.)
Here are the instructions for how to navigate the site:
- You will see a search engine box under “Quick Facts” on the upper left hand side of the page. Type in your city or zip code and press enter. Note that my link above already has the City of Glendale (and the City of Beverly Hills plus the County of Los Angeles to provide two comparisons) already set up, so you will only need to do this step if you live in a City other than Glendale (which I know many of us do!).
- Once the page loads, a column will appear with the city or zip code that you plugged in. As you scroll down to view the data underneath the column, you will see demographic information on “People” (such as the population, age and sex, race and other characteristics including housing, family and living arrangements, computer and internet use, education, health, economy, transportation, income and poverty). Analyze the data presented to you about your city/neighborhood. What is your reaction to this data? Are you surprised by it at all?
- Then, analyze the demographic information provided about “Businesses,” and “Geography” for your city/neighborhood, and consider your reactions to this data and whether you were surprised by it again.
- After you’ve examined these three variables (and their sub-variables) closely, write a description (at least one full paragraph) for each of the three variables, that synthesize the information that you found for each of these. Each description should include what your findings are, why you think they are this way for your area as well as the two areas you compared to, and whether or not you were surprised by your findings.
- Now repeat these steps again, with one exception. Instead of examining the data on your city/neighborhood, you will examine the notoriously wealthy City of Beverly Hills, as well as the greater County of Los Angeles, to provide you with some data to compare your city/neighborhood to.
- Write three more descriptions on the same variables of “People,” “Businesses,” and “Geography,” comparing the information of your current city/neighborhood of residence, to that of the City of Beverly Hills and the greater County of Los Angeles. Is your area similar to or different from Beverly Hills? How about to the County of Los Angeles? Why do you think this is? Was there anything that surprised you in the Beverly Hills data? How about in the County of Los Angeles data?
- Be sure to conclude with what you learned from this experience, and to connect it back to what you learned from the Research Methods portion of Module 1.
For the last part, these are the videos you can use for reference.
Place this order or similar order and get an amazing discount. USE Discount code “GET20” for 20% discount